Log in

No account? Create an account
Danny Danger Oz [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

C7 - we may not make it [Jun. 7th, 2011|10:38 am]
[Tags|, , , , ]

Just wanted to put the word out early that all our Continuum 7 plans may suddenly be cancelled. Both kids are sick, but Lex is really unwell, poor little bugger. He's been out of sorts for a couple of days, but today he's bad enough that he's voluntarily staying in bed, moaning, dozing, and asking me to come in and hold him every 20 minutes.

It's no good dragging him down to Melbourne if he's like this. It won't be fun or comfortable for him, and it certainly won't be fun for us. Mind you, with both kids at the con we were keeping our hopes for fun at fairly low levels. :)

Original plan was to leave Thursday. If Lex isn't substantially better by Wednesday arvo, then we start to cancel 90% of our travel plans. The remaining 10% will be me driving down to Melbourne on the Friday, doing the Chronos Awards, staying the night, then leaving Saturday after the Continuum 101 panel so Sharon isn't stuck with looking after a sick child and a baby on her own.

I have suggested to Shaz that she can head down with MaybeZoe, deliver the awards, do the whole con, and I'll stay here and look after Lex. I doubt she'll go for it, but have made the offer. It'd let her get to a con, and give her a few days off, albeit looking after one child. She could leave MZ here, but it would destroy our frozen breast milk supplies and leave us no reserves.

Naturally, if we do cancel Wednesday arvo, Lex will be right as rain Thursday. If we wait until Thursday to cancel, he'll be well Friday. If we go to Melbourne, he'll be sick and miserable the whole time. This is the nature of parenting :)

Fingers crossed he gets better and we can all travel down. I know he was looking forward to the trip as much as we were. And it's shaping up to be a fantastic con, so it'd be nice if we could see parts of it around children.

[User Picture]From: hespa
2011-06-07 01:09 am (UTC)
Oh man, poor Lex! And poor timing, Lex. :(

If you can't stay for the rest of the con, it seems pretty unfair to make you come all the way down for one night. I can't speak for John (I know he has an LJ name, but can't quickly check it from phone), but I would've thought we can manage the Chronos without you. And while I'm daunted by the idea of doing Con-going 101 with just me & David, we'll muddle through!

Fingers crossed Lex will recover & it won't even be an issue - but if it is, you can rest assured of your own redundancy. ;-P

*big hugs*
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dalekboy
2011-06-07 01:36 am (UTC)
John rang within minutes of the post being up, offering to take the awards down, because he's a sweetheart.

If Lex gets worse, or MZ gets crook, we'll be taking him up on it and neither Shaz or I will go to the con. As for coming down for one night -
1. I'd like to be there for the shocked expressions during the Chonos Awards
2. I like doing the 'your first con' panels
3. It'd be nice if I could avoid missing the whole of Continuum 7, since my non-human con-baby is now seven years old, and is going to be amazing.
4. There's a table in Melbourne I have to collect that was going to have to be done as a completely separate trip, that I could do this time if I was on my own.

Of course, with point 3 I'm willing to miss it so Sharon can go, as she deserves to have some con fun and I got to go to Swancon.

If I can't make it down for any of those reasons, expect a big email detailing "In the style of..." stuff. But hopefully Lex will get better and it'll all be fine. Mainly posted because given I'm on a bit of stuff, I wanted there to be some fair warning that I may have to cancel.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: ariaflame
2011-06-07 03:22 am (UTC)
Obviously I hope that Lex feels better soon and that you all manage to come and have a great time at the Con. (And that MZ stays not too bad).

(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: dalekboy
2011-06-07 06:16 am (UTC)
Ta! MaybeZoe mainly has a snotty nose and is a little restless. That's where Lex was for part of this week, so hopefully MZ doesn't come down with this as well.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: murasaki_1966
2011-06-07 09:40 am (UTC)
I hope they get better. We will be in Albury for BorderCon (bring your favourite boardgames and play for three days straight).
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: tikiwanderer
2011-06-08 04:55 am (UTC)
Hope you can make it! Haven't actually said hello to you for rather a long time. (My being sick for all of Aussiecon didn't help :-) I'll be there with Robin on the Saturday, and then separately just for a panel on Monday so hopefully there's a window. If you all don't make it, I hope that recoveries go well!
(Reply) (Thread)