1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Started an occasionally hugely personal exploration of my likes/dislikes as a person, that effectively tears me wide open to be viewed by friends and strangers alike. Isn't that enough?
Oh ok, started to begin to try to come to terms with my needs... kind of... almost... Tried to get better at asking for/accepting things, without much success. Told a couple of people that I loved them deeply that I'd been meaning to tell for some time (still got one or two more to go, though). Started my own (very) small business. Oh! Moved interstate! I had to come back and add that one in! Duurrrrrr...
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. When I decide to do something, I try to start immediately, otherwise I'll just forget, lose focus or enthusiasm. So no real good answer for this one.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not from memory, but hopefully there will be three this year!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Dingo, the last of my droving dogs. I miss him.
Two of my aunts from the good side of the family died within a few weeks of each other. Very sad.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
I dunno, I'm pretty good. Maybe a new telly, since the old one is dying... *shrugs*
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Okay, well I'm generally awful with dates, ok? The only one I'm gunna remember is April Fool's Day, because that was the start of my health issues. I find this amusing.
No other specific dates for the moment... Most of mine have to do with strong emotion.
The aftermath of lunch in the city with a friend, where I realised just how much I really loved her. A couple of the people I saw briefly or didn't see before leaving Melbourne, who I finally realised just how much I care for them (i.e. way more than I thought).
The end of Continuum 4 - the outpouring of genuine love and appreciation from the crowd still bring tears to my eyes. I still feel undeserving of it.
baralier telling me that Continuum got him back into fandom. Wow. I don't think I ever expressed how deeply touched I was by that. The same goes with Julia, telling me that Continuum gave her a sense of freedom previously unknown to her. Again, wow.
Passing my hat around for harveystoat and seeing how blown away he was by how much people really liked him. Been on the receiving end of that, so was good to let someone else experience it.
Sex with Kali in a forest during a storm.
The realisation that I'm actually way worse than I let on or realised with regards to my unknown ailment, and so to get my act into gear with regards to the people I care about, just in case it kills me, or otherwise renders me unable to say what I need to say.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I started a business.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Nothing specific, just lots of little things that needed doing.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Ha! My balance went to hell, and I'm gradually getting other symptoms, like muscle pain. Finding it very difficult to read. Also noticing my spelling is slowly going to hell, and I'm tending to transpose the wrong word more and more frequently on many common words that I know. Don't know if it's related, or just getting old.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Seasons 1 & 2 of Kung Fu. Seriously. There's a depth and intelligence to the writing that is amazing for when it was made.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Many people. But if I had to pick... hespa and celuran are both inspirations to me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
One acquaitance of mine who believes the end justifies the means, John Howard, and Goerge Bush.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Buying stock, bills...
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My Perth trip (last year). My upcoming trip with Hespa. The prospect of me travelling to a few different cities next September to celebrate my 40th with various friends.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Well, because I'm crap with dates, in a year or two I won't remember hearing them in 2006, but it's a toss-up between O'ZONE's Dragostea din tei and Ruslana's Wild Dances.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Actually a little happier, in spite of things.
ii. thinner or fatter?
A little thinner, I think.
iii. richer or poorer?
Much the same.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Travel, sex, time spent talking or cuddling with people I care for.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Not being able to move around or concentrate.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
How the hell can you accurately sum up 2006, complete with things like deaths, before the year is over? Huh? How?! You can't! That's why I'm doing this now!
Christmas this year sucked big hairy sweaty donkey anus.
21. What LJ users did you meet for the first time?
Was whochick 2006 or 2005? Damn, no idea. willowgypsy Probably some others...
22. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Yes. Fell in love with Sharon and Kali all over again several times over, realised I was in love with a couple of others, was still in love with a couple more, and developed an enormous fondness/crush on a delightful young woman who works at ACMI.
23. How many one-night stands?
Just for 2006? None.
But if we're talking my whole life...
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Life on Mars, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Kung Fu, Supernatural, The Venture Bros., Boston Legal... it's been a big year for catching up with shows, old and new.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope. Takes a lot for me to hate, I find it easier to love.
26. What was the best book you read?
Toss-up. The Stone Mage and the Sea by Sean Williams, and The Arrival by Shaun Tan. I think Shaun just wins out over Sean.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ruslana, followed by The Beatles (I may be slow, but I get there in the end) and The Bastard Fairies.
28. What did you want and get?
The house on Balamara St, some cool Doctor Who toys.
29. What did you want and not get?
Enough physical intimacy.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My actual birthday was a total dud this year, I was alone, no Sharon, no Kali, I was utterly miserable. 39.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My health being normal.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Black, or semi-natural colours. Feral.
34. What kept you sane?
My own attitudes to things, just. Love and cuddles. And sex. And, strangely enough, my business, because on the rare occasions when I could actually be useful, this was a way of being useful that brought in money.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don't think there was one...
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Just the big two. Global warming, at least something is finally being done, but it should never have taken this long, nor for the spectre of GW to loom so large before our governments decided to reduce greenhouse emissions. The war on terror, where our governments show an even bigger disregard for people and their lives that the terrorists ever did.
37. Who did you miss?
My dad, and Dingo. Sharon, Kali, Mitch, Mondy, Simon, Sean, Adina, Hespa, Emilly, Megs, Megan, Auntie Gwen, Paul, David, Sue Ann, Trevor, Louise... I think that's the main list, but I've probably missed/offended a few people, and surprised one or two others.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I think that would have to be Louise, which is probably something of a surprise to her. She rocks a lot more than she probably realises.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
To ask for what I need, rather than go without or suffer. I'm still learning it, and i don't do a terribly good job, because I often don't realise I need help/assistance/intimacy until it's offered. And even then say no automatically because I don't want to be a nuisance.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm not gonna cry, I'll stay in the woods
When my heart is aching
I dance with the wolves